BARRY ROAD PRE-SCHOOL PHILOSOPHY
Barry Road Pre-school is committed to providing a warm, caring, positive learning environment for everyone involved in our community.
Embedded in our program are the Early Childhood Code of Ethics, National Quality Frameworks [NQF] and the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework [VEYLDF] which describes childhood as a time of ‘Belonging, Being and Becoming’. We believe play is central to children’s learning and provides an authentic means for children to develop positive dispositions towards learning. We provide engaging programs that are play based and support children to achieve a range of learning outcomes and we acknowledge all children as active and competent learners. Our centre and all those involved are committed to implementing sustainability into learning and practice.
We believe that the health and wellbeing of each child is paramount and Child Safe Standards guide our practices and we take mandatory responsibilities seriously and have a zero tolerance for child abuse.
We value and respect Committee of Management and staff individuality, knowledge, qualifications, and experiences and encourage growth and positive team cooperation. Our educators are positive role models, guiding behaviour by example and interacting with children to encourage learning. By using reflective practice and continually developing their professional knowledge and skills our educators are able to provide the best possible learning and development opportunities for all children.
We believe in the importance of families being their child’s first teacher. We recognize that family relationships are important and crucial in a child’s life. Our program is inclusive and is based on acceptance of, and respect of each child and their family regardless of ability, gender, race, language, culture, or economic status.
Barry Road Pre-school acknowledges the Wurundjeri Willum Clan as the traditional owners of the land on which we play, learn, and grow. Our program embraces and values the cultural richness of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People.
Welcome to our Community.
Barry Rd Pre School is committed to the cultural safety of Aboriginal children
We are committed to:
- actively supporting and facilitating participation and inclusion of Aboriginal children, young people and their families within our service
- the safety, participation and empowerment of Aboriginal children
- providing an educational program that strengthens Aboriginal children’s culture and identity
- actively supporting and encouraging Aboriginal children to express their culture and enjoy their cultural rights
- supporting Aboriginal children and their families to identify as Aboriginal without fear of retribution or questioning
- supporting Aboriginal children to maintain connection to their kinship ties, land and country
- supporting Aboriginal children to be taught their cultural heritage by Elders
- facilitating regular training and education on Aboriginal cultural and cultural safety
- establishing policies, procedures, systems and processes to create a culturally safe and inclusive environment and meet the needs of Aboriginal children, young people and their families.